How to setup and use Email Collectors (Email Popups)
Email Collectors are just Recapture's way of allowing you to configure Email Popups for your store. They can be used to download emails directly or synchronize to your MailChimp mailing lists (see our Integration documentation for details) or using Zapier, to synchronize with any supported email provider they integrate with (see Zapier documentation for details as well)
Email Collectors in Recapture are easy to setup and allow you to use a number of pre-configured templates. You can setup the call-to-action (CTA), the text, the background color, button color and more.
What can Email Collectors do?
Email collectors are good for:
- Building your email list by offering a discount for signing up
- Asking the users for their email address before they add an item to cart (increases your chances for recovering abandoned carts!)
- Asking the users additional questions for campaign personalization! Now available.
When can I trigger an Email Popup?
- Timed delay (Wait X seconds before showing the collector)
- Triggered popups
- When the user adds an item to their cart
- When the user browses X number of pages
- When the user views X number of products
- Re-triggered popups
- After the previous event, decide whether to hide forever or popup again (if they dismiss) after some future delay or event
How can I configure Email Collectors?
Email Collectors are configured under https://recapture.io/account/email-collectors
Email collectors are created under
or by clicking on the Collectors button at the top:
You can configure one active email collector (but you can create as many as you like, and enable one at a time. This is good if you have special promotions, holiday discounts, etc and allows you to swap them out easily)You can enable the collector by clicking the switch on the far left from Off to On.
To create a new Collector:
- Click Add Collector at the bottom right of the list of collectors on your screen:
- Now, give your collector a name and decide when you want to make it appear. Click Next Step when you're done.
- The first drop down gives you options for timed display, or event based display, so you can pick whatever makes sense:
- Pro Tip: If you want emails for "Add to Cart" events, use "Show after 1 Products in Cart"
- Next, pick the template you want to use for displaying. Use the arrows on the left and right to scroll through the designs.
- Don't worry--you can modify the colors, text and backgrounds on pretty much everything! So just use this as a "rough design" for starters:
- When you've completed that, now you'll be in the Email Collector editor. Here you can change all the settings you just made, plus colors and text. Here's the top left settings where it handles the display logic for the collector:
- First Show will determine the initial event used to pop up the collector. Again--it can be timed or triggered, based on the selection you make.
- After First Show allows you to decide if this popup should reappear later (if they dismiss it). It won't reappear if they enter an email address, ever.
- Reveal Type allows you to do Exit Intent popups. Select Exit Intent if you want this to show if the user is trying to leave the page altogether
- Reveal Delay is a timer that allows you to further tune when the email popup will appear. This delay will start AFTER the trigger event from First Show is activated.
- Example: If you have First Show set to After 3 Product Views and Reveal Delay set to 5 seconds, then once the user browses through 3 products AND 10 seconds have passed AFTER the 3rd product view, the email popup will appear.
- After Submission indicates how you want the email popup to continue after the user submits it (with an email address). Two choices--auto hide or manually close:
- You might choose "Do not hide collector" if you put a discount code in the popup (which allows the user to then either copy it or write it down). Otherwise, select Autohide
Scrolling down the left side a bit more, you can see the color choices available for various parts of the popup:
- We won't cover those in much detail because when you change the values here, the popup preview on the right will change (LIVE) and you'll see the result. It's pretty intuitive to use.
- Below the colors, you can change the text for each item in the popup.
- As you select a particular field on the left, the popup will highlight that text on the live preview. This is what happens when Email Input Placeholder is selected:
When you're done, be sure to click Save on the upper right: